Barça players bring festive cheer to local hospitals
The FC Barcelona first team squad visit children in various centres across the area
Children in hospitals in Barcelona, Badalona and Sabadell enjoyed a very special visit on a very special Sunday. The FC Barcelona first team players divided themselves up to visit various centres in the region to bring festive cheer to the young patients on the day before ‘Los Reyes Magos’, the date on which children in Spain and in many other countries around the world receive their seasonal gifts.>
The likes of Leo Messi, Suárez, Piqué, Griezmann, De Jong and company as well members of the coaching staff and board of directors handed out presents on behalf of the Club. The visits followed on from the traditional open door training session at the Estadi Johan Cruyff in the morning.
The visit forms part of the Child Emotional Welfare programme at the FC Barcelona Foundation and its objective is to reinforce the emotional welfare of children in hospital via positive feelings. The visits aim to help the young patients’ ability to adapt and also help their frame of mind and imagination. Emotional wellbeing is key in creating a positive environment and in aiding the effectiveness of treatment and recovery for the children.
11 year old Pol, a patient at the Vall d’Hebron hospital, was able to virtually attend the morning open door training session via the Robot Pol project, an initiative that allows children in hospitals to experience the magic of Barça up close.
The project is a collaborative one between the Barça Foundation and the Éric Abidal Foundation with the help of the company Awabot and it allows children in hospital to experience Barça up close to help them be positive about their respective daily situation. The child is able to control the robot remotely from a computer, allowing them to interact and experience the event as if they were there in person. Children in hospital on a daily basis are able to use the project to make virtual visits to Camp Nou and the Barça Museum.
Hospital Sant Joan de Déu
- Players and staff: Griezmann, Todibo, Sergio, Ansu Fati, Junior and Joan Barbarà
- Directors: Jordi Cardoner, first vicepresident FC Barcelona and the Barça Foundation; Silvio Elias board member responsible for youth football
- FC Barcelona Foundation Board Members: Josep Maldonado
- Also present: Mària Vallès, Directora General de la Fundació Barça
Hospital Vall d’Hebron
- Players and staff: Piqué, Arthur, Semedo, Neto, Iñaki Peña and José A. Pozanco
- Directors: Emili Rousaud, instituional vicepresident FC Barcelona; Jordi Moix, vicepresident of FC Barcelona Espai Barça commission
- FC Barcelona Foundation Board Members: Ramón Alfonseda, President Agrupació Barça Jugadors and Mohamed Chaib.
Hospital de Sant Pau
- Players and staff: Sergi Roberto, Wagué and Jon Aspiazu
- Directors: David Bellver, Board Member FC Barcelona
- FC Barcelona Foundation Board Members: Sor Lucia Caram
Hospital Universitari Germans Trias i Pujol
- Players and staff: Jordi Alba, Arturo Vidal i Edu Pons
- Directors: Pau Vilanova, Board Member FC Barcelona responsible for the Social Area
- FC Barcelona Foundation Board Members: Antoni Guil, President of the Penyes Confederation
Hospital de Barcelona
- Players and staff: Ter Stegen and Ernesto Valverde
- Directors: Javier Bordas, Board Member FC Barcelona responsible for the first team
Hospital HM de Nens
- Players and staff: Umtiti, De Jong and Jose R. de la Fuente
- Director: Josep Maria Bartomeu, president FC Barcelon
Hospital Parc Taulí
- Players and staff: Rakitic and Lenglet
- Directors: Josep Ramon Vidal-Abarca, Board Member FC Barcelona responsible for futsal
- FC Barcelona Foundation Board Members: Enric Roca
Cottolengo Padre Alegre
- Players and staff: Carles Pérez and Riqui Puig
- Directors: Jordi Calsamiglia, Board Member FC Barcelona
- FC Barcelona Foundation Board Members: Felip Boixareu
Casa Ronald McDonald
- Players and staff: Messi, Suárez and Pepe Costa
- Directors: Jordi Argemí, Board Member FC Barcelona responsible for Barça Handball