FC Barcelona, through the FC Barcelona Foundation and in collaboration with Barça Regal, has joined the “Join the AECC, join the rose” campaign, organized by the provincial board of Barcelona’s ‘The AECC of Catalonia against Cancer” initiative for the International Day against Breast Cancer. Barça’s goal is to raise awareness for the cause and spread AECC’s message about how to fight the disease.
The Palau Blaugrana to serve as campaign focal point
On Friday, October 12, during the Euroleague match that will pit Barça Regal against Brose Baskets at 18.30 at the Palau, information will be made available on the “Join the AECC, join the rose” campaign through the Palau’s speaker system and video screens.
In addition, the FCB cheerleaders will perform a choreographed routine while donning pink outfits as show of the Club’s commitment to the cause. AECC representatives will watch the game from the Palau’s presidential box, and pink-coloured ribbons will be handed out to attendees so they can show their commitment to the project.
Encouraging early detection and diagnosis
“Join the AECC, join the rose” is the slogan for the campaign against breast cancer that aims to increase early detection of the disease in the general population, provide a message of hope, inform affected women of the psychosocial aid provided by the AECC, and in this special year, pay tribute to all those that have contributed to improving prevention of the disease.
Facts about breast cancer
• Breast cancer is the most prevalent form of cancer among women internationally (28.5%). (IARC, 2008).
• In the European Union breast cancer is the most common form of cancer among women. The global mortality rate due to the disease has increased 3.4 times over the last 50 years.
• In the last five years the mortality rate has decreased 2% every year.
• According to the Minister of Health, 10% of Spanish women will be diagnosed with breast cancer before the age of 75. 1 in every 8 women will develop breast cancer in the coming years.
• 4,665 cases of breast cancer were diagnosed in Catalonia in 2008 (PDO, 2008).
• 80 cases of breast cancer are diagnosed every day in Catalonia.